20) Funkadelic V Moodymann – Cosmic Slop (Westbound) 12″
Two heavyweights combined together to provide a 12″ that sold like hot cakes upon release. The album ‘Reworked by Detroiters’ was appreciated by us all in the shop for it’s respectful nod to the originals whilst bring forward a modern twist.
19) Jacob Mafuleni & Gary Gritness – Batanidzo (Nyami Nyami) LP
This is a mighty fine example of African meets western culture with a mbira riding the 808 beats with subtle vocals. This is an album that we loved during 2017.
18) Skinny Pelembe – Seven Year Curse (Skinny’s Own) 7″
Cheeky 7″ straight outta Donny on Skinny’s Own label with a beautiful pairing of soothing moves and grooves.
17) Okyerema Asante – Sabi (Kalita) LP
A big re-issue for Kalita of this storming Ghanian disco bomb. Big indeed and even bigger things planned for Kalita in 2018. One to watch out for.
16) Bardo Martinez & the Soul Investigators – Bad Education (Timminion) 7″
We simply loved this soulful funk jazz nugget for it’s respectful nod to the past yet bringing the heat with a modern twist.
15) Big Mean Sound Machine – Runnin’ For The Ghost (Blank Slate) LP
Big bold brash African bustle album that brought the hustle in 2017 with an authentic stamp of quality.
14) Dimitri From Paris V Cotonete – Paribbean Disco (Heavenly Sweetness) 12″
Producing modern day disco can be difficult for most but this Parisian pairing proved to be a winner for us in 2017.
13) Twinkie – Awake O zion (Athens Of The North) 7″
One big record that deserved to be re-issued proving that gospel can cross over to the masses. Essential!
12) Makadem & Behr – Nyako (On The Corner) 12″
We love On The Corner within the shop and this was their biggest seller for us in 2017. OTCR are simply one of the finest UK labels around at the moment. Nuff respect!
11) Wildflower – Wildflower (Stac) LP
This is one curve ball album that sold fast whenever we could get copies. Hot indeed.